It’s interesting for a couple of reasons:
- It gives some useful benchmark conversion rate numbers.
- It shows how conversion rates can and do vary significantly between sites with checkouts that are functionally almost identical. (Clearly other factors are at play, e.g. brand, initial purchase intent, removal of any impediments, etc.)
Here’s a quick summary of the findings.
- Analysed 2.5m visitors to over 27 websites.
- All used standard Magento ‘accordion-style’ checkout page (customised for each brand).
- All niche brands selling lifestyle goods.
- Average conversion rate (visit to sale): 2.47% (ranging from below 1% to over 10%)
- Average % of visits leading to a basket page view: 5.76% (mostly between 3% and 7%)
- Basket page exits: 9.29% (mostly between 7% and 11%) [people who leave the site at the basket page]
- Overall checkout completion rate (basket page view to sale): 37% (mostly between 22% and 48%)